Monday, October 5, 2009

Hunter's Moon

Last night there was a full moon. It was gorgeous. Tonight should be nice too. I already see Venus shining in the southeastern sky. The American Indians had a name for each moon, their natural calendar, according to their tribes:

January-Wolf Moon
February-Snow Moon (Hunger Moon)
March-Maple Sugar Moon (Crow Moon)
April-Grass Moon
May-Flower Moon
June-Strawberry Moon (Rose Moon)
July-Cherry Moon (Blood Moon)
August-Green Corn Moon (Thunder Moon)
September-Harvest Moon
October-Hunter's Moon
November-Beaver Moon (Falling Leaves Moon)
December-Cold Moon

I like to step back from my busy day, away from the confines of my home or the hospital and survey the skies and observe the seasons. Living in a world where there's a clock in almost every room, not to mention one around my wrist, it's hard to imagine trying to gauge time by gazing at the moon. I invite you to step outdoors for just a moment to feel and breathe the fall air, look up into the heavens and reflect on a simpler time.

No comments:

Post a Comment